We decorated the Christmas tree after Justin was in bed one night. He's liked it since we put it up, but did pretty well with not touching it. The ornaments, however, are another matter. Being a big sister taught me to hang breakables well over baby reach height, but we have some adorable little wooden ornaments a sister of mine gave me that I hung all over the tree. Justin found them irresistible. No matter how many times I explained that the tree and ornaments were not to be touched, I'd walk back in the room five minutes later to find him holding wooden ornaments in his chubby little hands. Upon seeing me he would walk quickly towards me and hold out the ornaments, saying earnestly, "Uh-oh! Uh-oh!" It's so hard not to laugh while disciplining toddlers!
The funny part is that, while for the sake of consistency and future trees and keeping him away from the lights and all that I have to ban touching the tree, I don't care very much. The wooden ornaments are sturdy enough for his cautious examinations. The whole battle is keeping him distracted from the real issue, the stockings. Their hangers are heavy and sturdy to support full stockings, but they're heavy enough that they could hurt him if he pulled them down. I was watching him carefully, ready to pack them up and find some other way to hang stockings at the first tug. But he hasn't touched the stockings. He's too busy stealing Christmas tree ornaments. And he's such a creature of habit that between those and his singing Frosty, I don't think it's going to occur to him to get into the real trouble. I love diversions.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment