Monday, November 24, 2008

Babysat

Justin went to a friend's house today. Chris is about my parents' age and her own little granddaughter is just Justin's age. Chris and Justin are very fond of each other. He's been going through intermittent stranger anxiety, but Chris is on his short list of OK people.
I dropped him off at Chris's house this morning and, after disposing of hats and coats, went in to give him a hug goodbye. He gave me a very brief one and then pushed me away.
"You don't want a hug?" I asked.
"Ah-doh," said Justin, holding out his hands, palms outward.
"You want to stay and play?"
"Adwa," he expostulated further, gesticulating at the room and clearly prepared to fend me off if necessary.
"I'm going to go bye-bye. I'll see you later."
I got the message loud and clear. He's perfectly comfortable and wants to see if he can make that rocking horse play that tune again. Where WAS that switch? Oh yeah, bye mom.
It makes me feel good that he's not screaming as I head out the door. He'll be glad to see me when I come back but he's happy while I'm gone. It's nice.

No comments: