Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Do

Today, for the first time, Justin volunteered the information that he had a poopy diaper. He's been getting better about answering the question truthfully when asked. If I smell something funny I'll ask him if he "made poopies." He generally answers either "no" (in which case I check anyway) or "I do" (in which case we head to the changing table). Occasionally he simply runs away and that's an answer in itself. But he's been getting good about telling the truth and will rarely actually lie.
Today I was on the exercise machine, half-watching a TV show on the computer and half making desultory conversation with Justin ("Up! Down! Up! Down!") when he got quiet for a minute and tugged at his pants, the faraway look of a preoccupied preschooler in his eyes. And as I wondered, he made eye contact and said, "I do."
So, amid effusive praise at his brilliant idea of telling Mama, we went and got his diaper changed. I'm hoping this continues. That would be tremendously helpful.

No comments: